Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Too little homework in high school?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member Shoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 4th, 2002
    Posts
    1,620
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Too little homework in high school?

    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [url= I graduated in 2001 and in talking to former Burton alumnus who graduated around 15 years before me I had a comparison as to what our graduating classes accomplished.

    Mind you Burton was graduating around 70-80/year around his time, ?

    [/ QUOTE ]

    not quite. I graduated in 88 and we only had 53.

    [/ QUOTE ]


    Yeah when I graduated we had something like 56-57 graduates. At that time they said that was one of the biggest classes to come through burton in the past couple of years or something.
    "Freedom is not free, it requires great sacrafice. The price is paid in blood."

  2. #2
    Inactive Member imported_mega's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 6th, 2004
    Posts
    5,094
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Too little homework in high school?

    my class had 90 in 7th grade. By the time our senior year came around, it was down to about 45.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member imported_MoonlightGraham's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 2004
    Posts
    2,142
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Too little homework in high school?

    i could not agree with this thread more. i am a biology major and i know that i for one was not prepared well enough at all. I think Mr. Swindell at Kelly did a great job makin chemistry as "hard" as he did over the years. I heard people complain bout his classes for as long as I was in high school, but when you get to college it is a completely different ball game.

    I agree also with throwing out the liberal arts in schools. When I was at Kelly we had to have certain classes, like foreign language, art, drama, etc. Why?

    The only thing I can recommend is maybe setting some kind of duel enrollment program up where kids in highschool get a financial break, because the schools in swva are doing very little to get us ready for college (as far as science programs) are concerned. Biology and Chemistry are really the only two subjects I have had any trouble with at all, English is pretty easy you jus have to read the material, same thing w/math.
    [img]http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i42/stinmeister/untitled-2.jpg[/img]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member timmy_v's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2005
    Posts
    1,586
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Too little homework in high school?

    Well since i am in high school right now i think that there is too much homework [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. But i dont do mine until the morning anyway but i do think that some classes have way too much homework.
    "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it." -Pre

  5. #5
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Too little homework in high school?

    [ QUOTE ]
    When I was at Kelly we had to have certain classes, like foreign language, art, drama, etc. Why?


    [/ QUOTE ]

    Liberal arts colleges also require classes such as these as part of core requirements. At CVC you either have to test out, or take & pass 2 semesters of foreign language. This is fairly common across the board.

    Additionally, students who study music tend to fare better at math based classes (for those not aware, there is a math base in music).

    It would be a very dull world if we didn't have well rounded educations, IMO. Let us not forget, that some folks intend to study liberal arts subjects in preparation for their careers. It would be doing a disservice to all students to not encourage them to become well rounded.

    Not all of us have focused our extracurriculars on athletics. Some of us focused ours solely on the arts. (You had to take drama, we had to take PE! [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

    This is the classic argument of "I'm not going to use this when I'm grown, why do I have to have this class?"
    I didn't need classes like Earth Science, Chemistry, Biology, for my Economics degree, but I'm better for having taken them and improving myself.

    So if you want a specialized high school education, you would do well to move and attend a specialized high school. It's not fair to throw out liberal arts educations, basically discounting all those students that want a degree & career in some art field.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member SWVA-Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2005
    Posts
    4,965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Too little homework in high school?

    At Coeburn we don't have much homework at all... school is a breeze these days. I remember back in 6th and 7th grade when it was hard as hell to even get a B... and now getting an A is like a walk in the park.

    Know what the hilarious thing is?

    Our work isn't hard and our work load isn't heavy, yet there are so many lazy idiots out there that people still fail left and right. It's extremely pathetic... definitely makes me question society.
    Officially retired

  7. #7
    Inactive Member RaiderWahoo0105's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2004
    Posts
    625
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Too little homework in high school?

    My point exactly.

    From Norton's standpoint, it seems that NES is actually one of the best in the area and it prepares its kids will for what an elementary school is supposed to do.

    High Schools are becoming a joke.

    In ninth grade I was taking Earth Science while my friends in college were taking AP Chemistry on top of a whole other stack of classes of equal or greater difficulty.
    Go Wahoos!
    Go Mounties!
    [img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a39/flipanova_7/Inferno.jpg[/img]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Too little homework in high school?

    When I was in HS some folks would try to get placed into classes where the teacher was known to not give a lot of work. These same students always took study hall as a class too - I never understood that. These students had zero to little motivation and it was their choice to dodge work.

    I took classes based on what was needed for college, and I never took study hall. I had one teacher (Mrs. Carter!!!) that in my senior year gave us a syllabus like we would have in college and told us "In college you wont have a teacher to tell you which assignment is due and when. You have to follow this syllabus."
    I really liked that approach. It was good preparation for some basic expectations in college.

    I had a good deal of homework, but with proper planning & organization it doesn't seem like a lot. Instead of slacking off in down time/lunch I did my work. So when I went home empty handed on occasion I suppose it would look like I hadn't been assigned anything.

    We graduated 72 students in 1994. I think maybe a half dozen of us went to college. Not even all of those earned a bachelors degree.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  9. #9
    Inactive Member imported_hhstigerfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 12th, 2003
    Posts
    277
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Too little homework in high school?

    Russell County sort of looked into going to a block schedule my freshman year, but I'm glad we didn't. I couldn't imagine sitting in a class for a hour and a half! 7 period days are the way to go. You have the whole year to cover things before SOLs so you really don't have to tailor your teaching to the tests, most of my teachers just taught whatever they wanted until a week or two before the tests at the end of the year and just went back and reviewed things that were likely to be on the tests before the tests were given, we mostly just practiced a couple times on the tests released from last year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •